I totally disagree with this article's premise. Linking the DC Movies to the DC TV shows would be a bad idea.
Here are my reasons:
1. DC, unlike Marvel is on three different networks at the start of the 2014 to 2015 season: The CW, NBC and Fox. Marvel is on only one: ABC. Disney owns ABC and Marvel.
2. DC has 4 shows and Marvel has 2. The way the networks are set up today, streaming and binge watching are more prevalent.
3. Many people, like myself, wait for the Movies to come to video. Kind of hard to remember which movie connects to what show when you watch movies that way. Marvel is just asking viewers to go out and watch the movie. Sorry in my case it is asking too much.
4. Only 2 of the 4 shows would directly link to the Batman-Superman part of the Universe. Constantine deals with the occult, and Gotham is more of a Batman Origin Story.
5. The two other shows ( I, Zombie and Preacher) that premiere in 2015 are from the Vertigo line of DC comics. Both have no connection to the mainstream DC characters. Preacher airs on yet another network: AMC.
6. Marvel has 2 movies coming out every year. The next DC Movie (Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice) doesn't come out until 2016.
7. When the dust settles at the end of the 14-15 season this is what will exist:
Marvel will have 6 shows and a mini Series on 2 networks- ABC (owned by Disney) and Netflix with has a Distribution Deal with Disney.
DC will have 6 shows on 4 Different Networks. Only one of those having ties to DC's parent TimeWarner-The CW.
So in conclusion. Marvel can tie their TV and movies together because they have deals with the Networks who are airing them. And in reality DC is on more Free TV than Marvel. Only the Preacher series requires you have some kind of Pay TV.
DC has a bigger cross section of an audience. Not everyone who watches Fox or NBC will always watch the CW. Whereas Both of the free tv marvel has are on One Network.
It is pretty easy when you have only one network to deal with to connect to your movies.
Here is the Article I refer to: