Translate

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

DC Super Teams and shy so many of the New 52 Teams have failed

I am writing this not just a blogger reporting a trend at DC in regards to teams.


Note the list below.  These are the Team titles canceled so far.  The ones in black are the ones I had in buy list at my comic shop.




New 52 Teams Canceled
THE MOVEMENT #12
SUICIDE SQUAD #30
STORMWATCH #30
TEEN TITANS #30
Team 7 #8
Justice League International 12
Green Team #8
Legion Lost #8
Legion of Super-Heroes #23
Blackhawks #7

Here are my reasons for not buy the 3 titles in white on this list

1.  The Movement was a cool concept, but I need more than a new concept to drag me to a tile.  Too many new Heroes to learn about. There didn't seem to be a connection to the rest of the DC Universe either.

2.  The New 52 Blackhawks looked more like DC's version of Shield, and less like the Blackhawks of old.

3. The Green Team was a lame title when it appeared in 1st Issue Special in the 1970s.  So wasn't going to buy the title based on my past experience with the original title.


Here are the reasons that readers lost interest in the rest

1. Justice League International.  
   a. The bad guys looked like Marvel Villains.  
   b. No familiar bad guys from the DC Universe
  c. The writer made Omac seem more like Hulk than Kirby's original version of OMAC.  

2. Team 7
 Dito on the A, and B above
I knew too little about these guys and the writers didn't really give me convincing villains.

3. Suicide Squad.
 a.  Just didn't seem to have the same kind of magic it did when Ostrander wrote the book.
 b. Again lots of bad guys I didn't really know.
c. Changing Deadshot's look was a bad idea.

4. Teen Titans and Legion Lost.
N.O.W.H.E.R.E. did noting for the series.  H.I.V.E from the old 52 revamped would have been better.  Again there were lots of bad guys we didn't know and were not convincing enough to want to read them.  Had they not been canceled, I would eventually stop buying the titles.
    
5. Stormwatch.  
They did too many course corrections for me to catch up to the title.  Adding new mainstream DC heroes such as Lobo and The Wierd too late to save the title.


The list below lists the Teams still around as of May 2014 Solicitations.  

Teams left Standing in May 2014
JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED #1
JUSTICE LEAGUE #31
JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #31
JUSTICE LEAGUE 3000 #6
EARTH 2 #23
GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS #31
RED LANTERNS #31
AQUAMAN AND THE OTHERS #2
BIRDS OF PREY #31
RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #31

As you can see there is a pattern to what is left.  

Each title has a connection to other titles listed here or in the DC Universe. 

Ponder what I have said.

Go Forth and Do Well

Shane.

No comments:

Post a Comment